Friday, September 12, 2008

Boomer Swimming Aug. 2008

I got a cd with pictures from Boomer Interrelated teachers of him when the gym class went swimming at the beginning of the school year. Ok Boomer can not swim, but Boomer does not know he can not swim. make sense. I thought so. lol Well he does 0k, but good enough. We tried I don't know how many times to get in swim lesson, but no one wanted to deal with him. He got distracted with the other little kids there and he wanted to learn to swim, not learn to blow bubbles. He already knew that. He did that in the bath tub. lol Well There is no way we can take him to the pool during the summer to teach him, because that place is crowded and he will have the distractions. They said that last year he would not get away from the side of the pool. Which makes no sense to me, because when we took him swimming at the pool, he was all over the pool. But anyways. This year he swam the length of the pool 4 times. (Boomer swimming style) He watches other people and does what they do. Well so they put this floatie on him so that no one would have to be in the pool. Just a thing with Special Needs kids. (In ways he is. but you would not know it. Unless you knew what to look for) Well he gets this idea that he wants to go off the diving board. So they have 2 people on each side of it to help if needed. Well he gets up there and says... 'Oh.. I forgot I am afraid of height!' *insert eye roll here* He jumps off and goes to the side. The next time he thinks it would be cool to side off it. Well he found out that was not too cool. He skinned his side. lol With the floatie he can do it. Now my heart stopped when I was told that he did this. lol The teacher finally got it oked for him to go swimming this winter. He will then proceed to teach him to swim better then what he does now, since there will not be distractions. They dropped him out of OT since we don't have one that comes often. But the teacher will work with him on his ot and get his muscles stronger in the water, since you do use different muscles when swimming. ok here is some pictures...




He loves going down the slide. He did that when we would take him swimming

Getting out of the water after jumping off.


He said his eyes had water in them and he could not see. I think he was a little scared.

Jumping off again and I think he did better this time. lol






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome Jodi! He is doing great!

BunnyKissd said...

Great pics! I'm glad he's enjoying himself!

Widdle Shamrock said...

Great stuff !!!!

I don't know how things work over there, but Celtic Lad was eligible for funding for one on one lessons. (just for a term) Made a WORLD of difference for him.